Sancta Maria Convent

Sancta Maria Convent
Sancta Maria Convent

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Franciscan University (10-15-12)

I have just returned from an amazing adventure to Steubenville, OH! Sr. Mary Michael and I went to a vocation's fair and Franciscan University. This University bleeds Catholicism. They have daily Mass 3X a day for the students, they have a perpetual Adoration chapel... that was always full.... statues of St. Francis and other Catholic Saints. As you walked around the campus you saw college kids praying the Liturgy of the Hours, reading "True Devotions" and talking about Augustine or some other Catholic Superstar. It was very inspirational. The Masses were phenomenal. The reverence each student had... a good number of girls even were wearing the veil. The music was awesome, the preaching exceptional, and there were friars in habits and Sisters of various orders in habit that went to school there. How awesome is that!!??

We stayed with an awesome family. They had 8 children raning from 2 1/2 years old up to 18-19. They were a good homeschooling family. I was impressed at how well they all started on school work after morning chores.

This was the first time I really experienced a large Catholic family like this. Even though I love my family, I feel like I missed out on something growing up as an only child but granted- I did get a little spoiled being an only child... :) A funny story- while we were eating supper and St. Mary Michael was at a meeting, they were asking me about names and I explained that Mary was a part and that I wanted a female name. So after some sainly brain storming one of the older girls suggested Juan Diego and I should be Sister Mary Juana- needless to say the whole table started laughing and then she realized what she said and joined with us. Right around that time, Sr. Mary Margaret returned from her meeting and was looking at us like we were nuts but once we told her what happened she joined us in laughing. :) Needless to say, that name won't be making the top 3 list! Sorry Folks!

They also run and operate and produce Catholic to the Max items- go check out their website.  I got to see how they made all their awesome stuff. Perfect for Christmas and you would be helping a small business. It is all produced in an old school. It was so cool to see how mugs, shirts, plaques, etc were made. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

At the vocation's fair I met a lot of great religious brothers, Sisters, and priest. The Martyrs of St. George, the T.O.R.s, and the salesians (Lori note- not sure what this is) to name a few. We also met an awesome German priest- Fr. Ludwig. He was Super Awesome! So even though it was an amazing trip, I was so glad to be home with my sisters to pray together, eat together, and laugh together. I really did miss my community.

1 comment:

  1. Lori,

    The Salesians are a religious order founded by St. Don Boscoe. They primarily teach and do summer camps! ;-)

    ReplyDelete